Upper arm exercises for seniors and the elderly, like the upright rows below, will give you the power and strength to perform your daily activities to your fullest.
This exercise will strengthen your upper arms and back and improve your ability to lift that gallon of milk and pull up those darn dandelion weeds!
When performing this exercise it is best to stand up in order to avoid hitting your lap when the weights are lowered. Standing gives you more freedom of movement for a greater range of motion. Give it a try!
Purpose of this exercise
Increase the strength in your upper arms and back. Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
Stand with weights in hand in front of hips. Feet are shoulder width apart.
Lift the weight upward toward your chin, bending your elbows. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times
Inhale during the upward movement phase. Exhale during the downward movement phase.
Do not arch the back.Keep your shoulders down. Breathe out when lifting upward. This exercise is better performed when standing.
Take it up a notch
Try upper arm exercises standing with one foot in front of the other. Switch to an elastic band. Move up to a heavier weight when you can perform more than 20 repetitions.
How to do Upright Rows
More Upper Body Strengthening
1. Bicep Curls
- Strengthens the upper part of your arm with elbow exercises.
- Will make lifting activities easier.
- Strengthens your upper arm muscles with this arm workout.
- Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf.
- Strengthening and toning arm workouts.
- Improves your ability to rise from a chair.
- Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
- Build the strength in your upper arm and back with arm training.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
- Add to your ability to reach overhead.
- Strengthens the upper arm, back and shoulders with arm toning.
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Improves the mobility with shoulder shrug.
- Stabilizes your shoulder blades for heavier lifting.
- Improve the ability to safely reach overhead
- Stabilizes the back muscles shoulder rehab exercises.
- Increases the mobility of the shoulder joint.
- Improve the mobility of your shoulder and chest with shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
- Increase your strength when reaching forward or lifting with two hands.
9. Upright Rows
- Increase the strength in your upper arms and back with upper arm exercises.
- Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.
- Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
10. Bent Over Rows
- Strengthens your upper arm and back with shoulder workout.
- Improves your ability to pull and lift.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and chest with these best shoulder exercises.
- Improve your daily activities like opening doors or pushing a shopping cart.
- Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders with shoulder muscle workout.
- Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
Resources Check For Safety