Elbow Side Extensions
Shoulder muscle workout exercises for seniors and the elderly like elbow side extensions will add strength to your upper arm and back.
This can improve your steering wheel grip when driving, endurance when polishing the silver, arm strength when gardening.
This is a great exercise to perform either standing or sitting.
In both cases make sure you are standing or sitting with a straight spine. Bring your shoulders back and lift the ribs.
Try to perform these exercises in a controlled manner, slowly bringing the arms apart and then together.
Purpose of this exercise
Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders. Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
How to do it:
Begin with feet shoulder width apart, feet flat on the floor. Holding weights in hands, elbows bent, palms inward on chest.
Straighten arms to the sides. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.
Exhale during the upward movement phase. Inhale during the downward movement phase.
Keep torso erect and head facing straight forward.
Exhale as you bring your arms out to the side.
Maintain your elbows at chest level.
Take it up a notch:
Place one foot in front of the other.
Lunge forward with one leg as you bring the weights out to the side.
How to do Elbow Side Extensions
More Upper Body Strengthening
1. Bicep Curls
- Strengthens the upper part of your arm with elbow exercises.
- Will make lifting activities easier.
- Strengthens your upper arm muscles with this arm workout.
- Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf.
- Strengthening and toning arm workouts.
- Improves your ability to rise from a chair.
- Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
- Build the strength in your upper arm and back with arm training.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
- Add to your ability to reach overhead.
- Strengthens the upper arm, back and shoulders with arm toning.
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Improves the mobility with shoulder shrug.
- Stabilizes your shoulder blades for heavier lifting.
- Improve the ability to safely reach overhead
- Stabilizes the back muscles shoulder rehab exercises.
- Increases the mobility of the shoulder joint.
- Improve the mobility of your shoulder and chest with shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
- Increase your strength when reaching forward or lifting with two hands.
9. Upright Rows
- Increase the strength in your upper arms and back with upper arm exercises.
- Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.
- Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
10. Bent Over Rows
- Strengthens your upper arm and back with shoulder workout.
- Improves your ability to pull and lift.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and chest with these best shoulder exercises.
- Improve your daily activities like opening doors or pushing a shopping cart.
- Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders with shoulder muscle workout.
- Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
Resources Check For Safety