Arm workouts for seniors and the elderly like the Triceps Kickback are vital for older adults to maintain upper arm strength.
This will give you more power when using armrests to rise from a chair or bed. The triceps is the muscle that assists in extending your arm when reaching or raising your hand over your head to get something from a high shelf.
Increased arm strength will also help in most of your daily activities including, holding groceries, opening doors, sweeping floors, and lifting your grandchildren!
It is important in this exercise to keep your elbows high during the backward movement. This will assure you optimal training in your triceps by keeping the shoulder still.
Purpose of this exercise
Arm Workouts can strengthen and tone the upper arm. Improves your ability to rise from a chair. Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
Lean over your knee if sitting, or over a chair or table if standing. Hold the weight in your hand.
Straighten your elbow behind you as far as comfortable. Return to the start position and repeat 10 times.
Exhale during the backward movement phase. Inhale during the forward movement phase.
Maintain body position. Keep upper arms and elbows stationary. Do not swing the weights. Move at a slow to moderate speed.
Take it up a notch
Arm workouts can be done standing to improve your balance. Increase the weight if you can perform over 20 repetitions.
How to do Tricep Kickbacks
More Upper Body Strengthening
FIRST: Make sure to sign up for my FREE Senior Fitness Newsletter to make the most of these exercises and receive my special BONUS 4 week program!
1. Bicep Curls
- Strengthens the upper part of your arm with elbow exercises.
- Will make lifting activities easier.
- Strengthens your upper arm muscles with this arm workout.
- Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf.
- Strengthening and toning arm workouts.
- Improves your ability to rise from a chair.
- Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
- Build the strength in your upper arm and back with arm training.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
- Add to your ability to reach overhead.
- Strengthens the upper arm, back and shoulders with arm toning.
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Improves the mobility with shoulder shrug.
- Stabilizes your shoulder blades for heavier lifting.
- Improve the ability to safely reach overhead
- Stabilizes the back muscles shoulder rehab exercises.
- Increases the mobility of the shoulder joint.
- Improve the mobility of your shoulder and chest with shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
- Increase your strength when reaching forward or lifting with two hands.
9. Upright Rows
- Increase the strength in your upper arms and back with upper arm exercises.
- Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.
- Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
10. Bent Over Rows
- Strengthens your upper arm and back with shoulder workout.
- Improves your ability to pull and lift.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and chest with these best shoulder exercises.
- Improve your daily activities like opening doors or pushing a shopping cart.
- Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders with shoulder muscle workout.
- Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
Resources Check For Safety