Arm Training for Seniors and the Elderly
Diagonal Shoulder Raise Inward
Arm training exercise for seniors and the elderly like the Diagonal shoulder raise, will strengthen your upper arm, shoulder and back. This type of exercise can help with upper body dressing like putting on a coat or shirt.
Taking time to work on this movement is important in maintaining strong upper body strength which will greatly help in performing your daily activities like lifting grocery bags, opening doors and windows, and putting plates back in the cupboard.
These diagonal exercises are excellent all around shoulder strengtheners. Working in a diagonal plane strengthens all the muscles in the shoulder and upper arm in a very functional manner. This is a great exercise to do if you have a lot of reaching to do in the kitchen.
Purpose of this exercise
Build the strength in your upper arm and back. Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking. Add to your ability to reach overhead.
Sit or stand with weight in your hand at your side. Hold palm outward.
With palm forward, lift your arm up and across your body to the opposite shoulder. Bend the elbow as you bring the arm up and face the palm inward. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.
Inhale during the upward movement phase. Exhale during the downward movement phase.
Keep breathing during this exercise. Move at a slow to moderate pace without momentum. If it is painful during the final part of the movement, only exercise in the pain free range.
Take it up a notch
Try arm training exercises standing to work on your balance. Use a heavier weight if you can do more than 20 repetitions comfortably.
How to do Diagonal Shoulder Raise (Inward)
More Upper Body Strengthening
1. Bicep Curls
- Strengthens the upper part of your arm with elbow exercises.
- Will make lifting activities easier.
- Strengthens your upper arm muscles with this arm workout.
- Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf.
- Strengthening and toning arm workouts.
- Improves your ability to rise from a chair.
- Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
4. Diagonal Inward Shoulder Raise
- Build the strength in your upper arm and back with arm training.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
- Add to your ability to reach overhead.
5.Diagonal Outward Shoulder Raise
- Strengthens the upper arm, back and shoulders with arm toning.
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Improves the mobility with shoulder shrug.
- Stabilizes your shoulder blades for heavier lifting.
- Improve the ability to safely reach overhead
- Stabilizes the back muscles shoulder rehab exercises.
- Increases the mobility of the shoulder joint.
- Improve the mobility of your shoulder and chest with shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
- Increase your strength when reaching forward or lifting with two hands.
9. Upright Rows
- Increase the strength in your upper arms and back with upper arm exercises.
- Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.
- Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
10. Bent Over Rows
- Strengthens your upper arm and back with shoulder workout.
- Improves your ability to pull and lift.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and chest with these best shoulder exercises.
- Improve your daily activities like opening doors or pushing a shopping cart.
- Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders with shoulder muscle workout.
- Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
Resources Check For Safety