Arm Workout for Seniors and the Elderly
Overhead Elbow Extension
Arm workout exercises for seniors and the elderly like the overhead elbow extension will add strength to your upper arm and shoulder. This can be very important for overhead reaching activities.
Have you noticed that often used items in your cupboard get lower as we age? You can help increase your reaching ability with this upper body exercise.This exercise can be fatiguing to some seniors.
Try a lighter weight when beginning this exercises to avoid too much strain on the shoulder muscles.
Purpose of this exercise
Strengthens your upper arm muscles. Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf
Hold the weight in your hand. Position your arm overhead.
Straighten out your arm toward the ceiling. Return to the start position and repeat 10 times.
Inhale during the upward movement phase. Exhale during the downward movement phase.
Do not hold your breath. Support your exercising arm by holding at the elbow. If your back feels strained, sit in a chair with good back support.
Take it up a notch
Try this exercise standing up to work on your balance. Use an elastic band for a more thorough workout at the end of your range.
How to do Overhead Elbow Extension
More Upper Body Strengthening
FIRST: Make sure to sign up for my Eldergym® Senior Fitness Newsletter to make the most of these exercises and receive my free 4 week exercise program!
1. Bicep Curls
- Strengthens the upper part of your arm with elbow exercises.
- Will make lifting activities easier.
- Strengthens your upper arm muscles with this arm workout.
- Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf.
- Strengthening and toning arm workouts.
- Improves your ability to rise from a chair.
- Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
- Build the strength in your upper arm and back with arm training.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
- Add to your ability to reach overhead.
- Strengthens the upper arm, back and shoulders with arm toning.
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Improves the mobility with shoulder shrug.
- Stabilizes your shoulder blades for heavier lifting.
- Improve the ability to safely reach overhead
- Stabilizes the back muscles shoulder rehab exercises.
- Increases the mobility of the shoulder joint.
- Improve the mobility of your shoulder and chest with shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
- Increase your strength when reaching forward or lifting with two hands.
9. Upright Rows
- Increase the strength in your upper arms and back with upper arm exercises.
- Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.
- Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
10. Bent Over Rows
- Strengthens your upper arm and back with shoulder workout.
- Improves your ability to pull and lift.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and chest with these best shoulder exercises.
- Improve your daily activities like opening doors or pushing a shopping cart.
- Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders with shoulder muscle workout.
- Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
Resources Check For Safety