Elbow Exercises For Seniors And The Elderly
Elbow exercises for seniors and the elderly like bicep curls works on strengthening your bicep muscle. Many activities during the day require strong elbow flexors to lift.
These may include picking up your grocery bag, lifting up a load of laundry or even your grandchild. These muscles are called elbow flexors because they flex for bend the elbow.
This is a very common movement we use throughout the day without even thinking about it. Checking out of the food store, you lift items out of your cart, place them on the belt, put them back into your cart, reach for your wallet, hand the money to the cashier and push your cart to your car.
Purpose of this exercise
Elbow exercises can strengthen the upper part of your arm. Will make lifting activities easier.
Hold the weight in your hand at your side. Begin with your shoulders straight and your palm inward.
Bend your elbow toward your shoulder while turning your palm up. Return to the start position and repeat 10 times.
Inhale during the upward movement phase. Exhale during the downward movement phase.
Keep your shoulders back. Make sure to completely straighten and bend your arm.Breathe out as your arm comes up, and breathe in as your arm comes down.
Take it up a notch
Try this exercise while standing to work on your balance. Switch to an elastic band for a stronger pull at the end of your range.
How to do Bicep Curls
More Upper Body Strengthening
FIRST: Make sure to sign up for my Eldergym® Senior Fitness Newsletter to make the most of these exercises and receive my free 4 week exercise program!
1. Bicep Curls
- Strengthens the upper part of your arm with elbow exercises.
- Will make lifting activities easier.
- Strengthens your upper arm muscles with this arm workout.
- Improves your ability to lift your arms above your shoulders when reaching high to a shelf.
- Strengthening and toning arm workouts.
- Improves your ability to rise from a chair.
- Makes reaching to a high shelf easier.
- Build the strength in your upper arm and back with arm training.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
- Add to your ability to reach overhead.
- Strengthens the upper arm, back and shoulders with arm toning.
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Improves the mobility with shoulder shrug.
- Stabilizes your shoulder blades for heavier lifting.
- Improve the ability to safely reach overhead
- Stabilizes the back muscles shoulder rehab exercises.
- Increases the mobility of the shoulder joint.
- Improve the mobility of your shoulder and chest with shoulder rehabilitation exercises.
- Increase your strength when reaching forward or lifting with two hands.
9. Upright Rows
- Increase the strength in your upper arms and back with upper arm exercises.
- Improve your ability to lift heavier objects around the house.
- Assist in the mobility of your shoulder and elbow joints.
10. Bent Over Rows
- Strengthens your upper arm and back with shoulder workout.
- Improves your ability to pull and lift.
- Increase shoulder range of motion.
- Strengthen your upper arms, shoulders and chest with these best shoulder exercises.
- Improve your daily activities like opening doors or pushing a shopping cart.
- Help strengthen your upper arm and shoulders with shoulder muscle workout.
- Improve your ability to grip and pull as in opening a stuck refrigerator, moving a chair to vacuum, or opening a sliding glass door.
Resources Check For Safety