Flexibility Importance For Seniors And The Elderly; Knee to Chest
(Scroll down for more exercise videos)
Flexibility importance in a senior and elderly fitness program.
It is vital to incorporate a stretching routine into your exercises session primarily by performing active limbering range of motion movements during your warm up and also adding static stretches to your cool down.
The knee to chest is an example of a great static stretch that can be done in your chair.
As we age, stiffness increases in all of our joints, seemingly no matter what we do.
This is due to biological aging and happens to all of us.
Depending on your age and severity of your joint stiffness, stretching may slow the decline in your joint mobility.
So keep stretching and limbering up those joints!
Purpose of this exercise
- Stretches your knee and hip joints.
- Improves low back flexibility.
How to do it:
- Sit comfortably in your chair.
- Grasp your right knee.
- Gently pull up toward your chest.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Repeat with your left leg.
- Exhale during the upward movement phase.
- Inhale during the downward movement phase.
- If you have had recent hip replacement, check with your doctor for specific instructions regarding hip precautions.
- Relax your back and arms for a better stretch.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and down.
Take it up a notch:
- Grasp your leg around the shin or ankle for a deeper stretch.
Lower Body Stretches – Watch These Exercise Videos
1. Seated Lifts
- Improve the range of motion in your hips and legs.
- Help stabilize your low back and pelvis.
- Learn what is flexibility.
- Will improve your hip and knee range of motion with these exercises to increase flexibility.
- Can improve your standing posture by allowing you to stand up straighter.
3. Back Stretch
- Improves the range of motion in your spine and trunk with lower back stretching.
- Increases your ability to bend and reach low or high.
- Improve your hip and thigh range of motion with stretching legs exercises.
- Increase your functional ability in standing, walking and stepping.
5. Calf Stretch
- Targets the flexibility of your calf muscle and heel cord. with calf muscle stretches.
- Increases your ability to straighten your knee
- This is a good stretch for the side hip area.
- Improve the range of motion of our hips.
- These stretching techniques also can help with balance.
- Increase the range of motion of your hips with these flexibility stretches.
- Improve the functional use of your legs as in getting out of a car or stepping over the side of your bath tub.
- Increases the flexibility of the deep calf muscle with flexibility stretching exercises.
- Generally improves your lower body flexibility and functional use of your legs.
- Improve the range of motion of the ankle and foot with warming up stretching.
- Can help with ankle swelling.
- Increases your ability to lean forward and reach your feet with hamstring stretching.
- Improves the flexibility of your low back and legs.
11. Knee To Chest
- Stretches your knee and hip joints with flexibility importance exercises.
- Improves low back flexibility.
12. Ankle Stretch
- Helps maintain good ankle flexibility which will assist with walking and standing with ankle stretching exercises.
- Also helps with knee and hip stiffness.